Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog Post 10




1. Above I have included a cartoon by John T. Spencer. It can also be found in his blog "Adventures in Pencil Integration". At first i did not understand this cartoon at all. Like in the least bit. After staring at it for about twenty minutes I decided to do some research. I found that many other people were also puzzled by his cartoon and were eager to learn more about it. Finally I found a student that had a good explanation for it. Like me, he read the comments below the picture on John T. Spencer's blog post. In the end I found out that Ticonderoga is higher end brand of pencils. Papermate as we all know is a less expensive brand of pencil. The most common difference in the two were the erasers. Many of us would rather buy twenty Papermate pencils before a Ticonderoga because of the price. The point of Mr. Spencer's cartoon is to show that sometimes it is best to splurge on an item that is known for it's quality. In the long run, spending more money up front, may result in spending less in the future. Somehow I feel like this entire blog post goes back to Mac versus PC.

2.As I read Why Were Your Kids Playing Games? I was again confused and searching for the significance on the outcome. The only thing I got out of this was that once again "burp back" does not work. To many teachers focus on this method and it does not work the majority of the time. Before EDM 310 I did not know any other way of learning other than "burp back". I love the structure of EDM 310 because I feel like I am actually learning something. I feel like I am learning the process and the reasoning behind why we learn what we learn and why we do what we do.

4. I thought that Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? was a very odd post. I read the EDM310 students comments but was still unsure of what way Scott McLeod was going with this blog post. I was unsure of his position and of mine... I posted my comment below
"My name is Shelby Day from the University of South Alabama. For my class EDM 310. When I looked over this post I was unsure if it was sarcasm or not. I hope it really is because technology can be such a useful tool in the classroom! Shelby Day Twitter: @Miss_ShelbyD Blog: http://dayshelbyedm310.blogspot.com/"

2 comments:

  1. Metaphors and sarcasm. What worried you? You finally got them sorted out - with some help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't know any other way of learning besides burp back before EDM. It has definitely been different for me but a good different! Good job on your post! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete